Monday, October 2, 2006

Life is Beautiful

Greetings pup pals! I wanted to update everyone on my latest developments – with mom’s help of course.

First, I now weigh a hefty 2¼ pounds! My health and weight are improving every day. More importantly, my sarcoptic mange is clearing up, so there is less scratching. My white coat is getting thicker too, which is a plus.

The horrid vaccine process is almost over. Due to my size I must get vaccines in small increments. Next weekend will be my 4th and last time to undergo this monotonous, painful process. I’m glad my mom knows a doctor who is familiar with extra small puppies. There has been some side talk lately about something called a “spay”, but mom says I have to weigh over 5 pounds before that can happen. If I watch my calories, perhaps I will never have to find out what spaying entails. It doesn’t sound pretty. I think they butcher you. *gasp!*

In other news, my palate has become quite discriminating. I no longer lap things up just because they are waved under my nose. For instance, the bright pink Amoxy medication was palatable a couple of weeks ago, but I was recently prescribed Clavamox, a white liquid, which is intensely bitter. Lately, I have chosen to fight mom and dad on this issue, practically swiveling my head around in a complete circle to avoid the foul concoction. Well, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration. At any rate, they always manage to get it down my throat despite my vehement protests.

I am starting to realize that I don’t have much of a chance fighting these large, strong human parents. I do, however, have a weapon at my disposal that I use as often as possible: my large, black eyes. When I give them the super sad look, I make sure my ears are laid back, which accentuates my eyes. This look has proved successful in almost everything except getting out of taking medicine. It has even afforded me a few tiny morsels of human food. I think Sparky’s big black eyes are what caused him to get so fat, so I’m still weighing whether or not I should employ this pitiful look to get my way where food is concerned. I don’t want to end up looking like a pork roast with legs. Maintaining a girlish figure is of utmost importance.

Okay, this you will not believe: I can run all the way up the stairs by myself. The human parents didn’t even try to coax or teach me. One day, I just decided to go for it. The downfall is, I’m too afraid to come down. When the humans realize I’m missing, mom rounds the corner to look at the top of the stairs. Nine times out of ten she will find me up there waiting to be carried back down. I’m sure I will learn to do this myself eventually, but right now it is a very scary ordeal for me.

In essence, I'm exploring the world, growing by leaps and bounds, and developing a charming personality. One day I hope to be crowned Queen over these other large beasts I am forced to share my domicile with. They're nice enough, but sometimes can be a bit ill-mannered. Chance is least affected by my presence; he just sniffs a lot which can get annoying over time. Spenser barks (shouts) at me if I get too close. It's so loud it practically blows me across the room. Not to mention, it is unnerving to be playing and suddenly get shouted at. Sparky is very tempermental. I never know when he will be receptive to playing with me. That's okay because I will rule this pack one day. Very soon.

No comments: